In today’s digital age, customer reviews are more important than ever before. Potential customers rely on online reviews to make decisions about where to shop, eat, and do business. However, there is a dark side to customer reviews: people are more likely to leave negative reviews than positive ones.
There are a number of reasons why this is the case.
1. Negative emotions are more memorable than positive ones.
When we have a negative experience, it tends to stick with us more than a positive one. This is because our brains are wired to pay more attention to threats and danger. As a result, we are more likely to remember and share negative experiences with others.
2. People are more motivated to complain than to praise.
When we have a bad experience, we are often motivated to complain in order to get something fixed or to warn others about the problem. On the other hand, when we have a good experience, we are not as motivated to write a review. We may simply assume that others will have a similar experience, so there is no need to say anything.
3. It is easier to leave a negative review than a positive one.
In order to leave a positive review, we need to take the time to write something thoughtful and constructive. However, we can leave a negative review with just a few words. This makes it easier for people to vent their frustrations and share their negative experiences.
The impact of negative reviews
Negative reviews can have a significant impact on a business’s reputation. In fact, one study found that it takes 12 positive reviews to offset the damage of one negative review. This is why it is so important for businesses to respond to negative reviews promptly and professionally.
How to encourage positive reviews
While it is impossible to prevent people from leaving negative reviews, there are things that businesses can do to encourage positive reviews. Here are a few tips:
- Ask for reviews. Don’t be afraid to ask your customers to leave a review. You can do this on your website, social media, or in person.
- Offer incentives for reviews. Some businesses offer discounts or other incentives for customers who leave reviews. This can be an effective way to encourage people to take the time to write a review.
- Respond to reviews promptly. When a customer leaves a review, be sure to respond promptly. This shows that you value their feedback and that you are willing to address any issues they may have had.
Negative reviews are a fact of life for businesses. However, by following these tips, you can encourage more positive reviews and minimize the impact of negative ones. Your local listings on Google, Yahoo, Bing, Yelp, etc. play an important role of your company’s brand reputation and they increase search engine visibility and overall brand credibility. It tells search engines that your business can be trusted and is legitimate. Contact us today to learn about how we can help you manage your local listings.